Mopeds have been a favorite among urban commuters for decades–and the rise of electric mopeds means you can be both efficient and sustainable on your way to and from work. Especially with rising gas prices today, e-mopeds are an attractive alternative to anyone who spends a lot of time on the road.
So if you’re considering the switch to an electric moped, you’re probably wanting to learn everything there is to know about them beforehand. In this guide, we’ll cover the important information you need to know about e-mopeds, including how they’re different from other e-bikes, e-scooters, and mopeds, and how you can find the e-moped that’s right for you.
What are Electric Mopeds?
Let’s begin by defining what an electric moped is. E-mopeds are powered by a battery instead of gas, and fall in-between a motorcycle and a scooter. They are more powerful than e-scooters, though less intimidating than an electric motorcycle.
Because of this, e-mopeds can be a great option for beginners who are wanting an easier way to navigate through traffic than what’s possible in a car, without the complexities of learning how to drive a motorcycle.
With great safety features, no emissions, and enough power to go the distance, it’s no surprise why electric mopeds have become so popular.
Differences Between E-Bikes and E-Scooters
We’ve already briefly explained how e-mopeds differ from electric motorcycles and scooters, but let’s dive deeper and take a look at how they really differ from e-bikes and e-scooters.
In order to do so, let’s take a look at some of the main distinctions between e-mopeds and the others:
● Speed: Generally, e-mopeds have greater speed capacity than e-bikes or e-scooters, typically topping out around 30 mph, making them great for short commutes, running errands, and weaving through traffic
● Terrain: E-mopeds shine when used on city streets and paved roadways, so they’re not designed for mountain trails like certain e-bikes are
● Regulatory Requirements: Since they’re considered motor vehicles, e-mopeds will require riders to have a license, registration, and insurance, while e-bikes and scooters generally do not
● Propulsion: E-bikes and e-scooters require the rider to use some physical exertion to get it going, while an e-moped can be powered on by a button and won’t require any physical effort from the rider
● Restrictions: Given its power and capabilites, e-mopeds cannot drive on sidewalks or bike lanes like e-bikes and e-scooters since they’re considered a motorized vehicle
Why Buy an Electric Moped?
After taking a look at how e-mopeds differ from other personal transportation options like e-bikes or e-scooters, it’s clear to see that they are quite unique.
Let’s take a look at some of the main perks of owning an electric moped:
As we’ve mentioned, those who are used to the traffic-ridden commute to and from work each day will clearly see the appeal of driving an e-moped. You can easily weave through traffic with your e-moped and cut down on your commute time.
Again, e-mopeds are much more beginner-friendly than a e-motorcycle, but with similar perks! Plus, you don’t need to use an physical force to get the vehicle moving. With one press of a button, you’re off and ready to go!
Just as with any other electric vehicle, you can feel good about your transportation choice of an e-moped because it’s emission-free and safe for the environment.
When you swap out your gas-powered vehicle for an electric moped, you’ll quickly notice how much money you’re saving on gas. So among all the other benefits of driving an e-moped, it’s budget-friendly too.
How to Find the Right Electric Moped for You
With all of these factors in mind, hopefully you’ve become more familiar with e-mopeds and can see how they’re a great alternative to gas-powered vehicles and other electric modes of personal transportation.
If you decide that an e-moped is the right choice for you, consider the range you’ll need based on your commute, and any additional features you might require like storage or lighting. In general, finding a high-quality e-moped is your best route to feeling safe and confident on the road.
For the best electric mopeds out there, look no further than Jolta. Our wide selection of e-mopeds includes a variety of different styles and colors so anyone can find the perfect ride.